So you want to become a perpetual traveler without spending a fortune? Here are a few sites which will help you spend less on your travel, even if it’s just a single vacation.
- Airbnb – sign up and get $25 off your first booking! Great site to find a place to stay for weeks, not just days. Live like a local, not a tourist. Have your own flat and don’t change hotels all the time.
You have to get in contact in advance though or you will end up at booking.com, when making enquiries last minute. I know you wouldn’t do that anyway. Truthfully, that is just a reminder for us!
- 9flats – similar to Airbnb, yet the choice of accommodation may be lower, depending on geographic area (it covers Europe quite well, but seem to have somehow less choice for Asia).
- Booking – choose a city, your budget range and get loads of hotel offers with detailed descriptions and customer reviews. I love this site for the awesome flash-deals you can get if you spent time searching for hotel accommodation. It also works very well for last minute bookings.
As with all sites, we find it very helpful to read the reviews to get a better picture of the hotel. You can use the hotel-search-tool to your right to see how it works.
- Agoda – similar in concept to Booking above, so you might try to use it as well. We found prices to be higher than on Booking but your mileage may vary.
- Hostelworld – offering hostel accommodation, targeting lower budgets and students, it can be a good option for some overpriced locations.
- Couchsurfing – is so much more than having a bed for the night, because it is not about money. It is an amazing community of open minded folks all over the world that will share their personal home with you. We had great experiences as couchsurfers in India, on Cuba and Malta. It is free, so do not expect high standard.
- MindMyHouse – yes, it’s house-sitting! We have not given it a try as a lot of times you will have to look after pets as well. As much as we love animals, we found it to be a big 24h commitment. The houses, sometimes looking more like mansions can be rather remote and require a car.
- World Nomads – for residents of over 150 countries, you can buy it even if you’ve already left home, you can extend and claim online while travelling. And – it covers a range of adventure sports and activities. For singles, couples and family travelers.
- Skyscanner – provides instant online comparisons for millions of flights on over a thousand airlines. Its flexible search options mean you can browse prices across a whole month, or even a year, allowing you to get the best deals.
This is basically how we organise our travel in a nutshell.
If you have any questions or remarks, feel free to ask and comment!